Yes. PPP loans are available to Lyft and Uber drivers in the United States. Drivers for Lyft and Uber are considered independent contractors, and as such, they can qualify. And, if you meet the criteria and are approved for the loan, you can apply to get it forgiven whenever the loan term is up, as long as you implement the official directives.
As a Lyft or Uber driver, you can apply for PPP through any lender that participates in PPP, regardless of if they are your regular bank. During the tough moments brought on by the COVID pandemic, Lyft and Uber drivers figured prominently in linking people to extremely important services such as healthcare, food, and groceries.
The Small Business Administration (SBA) established new initiatives to assist small businesses, along with self-employed, sole proprietors, and independent contractors, as a result of the CARES Act. Lyft and Uber drivers are self-employed or own their own businesses and may be able to qualify.
Uber and Lyft drivers may require assistance to finance their enterprises. To fund a rideshare business, a driver can apply for conventional loans like car and personal loans. Furthermore, rideshare drivers can fund their businesses by applying for financing options via organizations like the SBA.
The Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) is a component of the massive government stimulus law enacted in 2020. As long as you possess all your resources, trying to apply as a Lyft or Uber driver is simple.
As a component of the loan forgiveness program, you will be required to demonstrate economic hardship. If COVID-19 has affected your earnings, your business will not be required to pay back the loan. However, you should be able to demonstrate financial difficulties.
Eligibility Requirements for Lyft and Uber Drivers Applying for PPP Loan
In order to qualify for a PPP loan as a Lyft or Uber driver, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You should first satisfy the minimum age requirement to drive in your city.
- You need to have at least one year driving experience (three if you are under the age of 25).
- You should have a driver’s license in the United States.
- You should own or acquire a vehicle that fulfills the vehicle requirements of the company (four doors, 15 years old or newer, etc.).
- You must have been operational by February 15, 2020.
- Income from self-employment, sole proprietorship, or as an independent contractor is required.
- You must reside in the United States.
- For 2019, you must file Form 1040, Schedule C.
- Net profit is required for 2019.
How to Apply for PPP Loan as a Lyft or Uber Driver
The CARES Act’s Paycheck Protection Program has turned out to be exceptionally famous among small businesses impacted by COVID-19. The following steps must be taken in order to apply as a Lyft or Uber Driver:
- Keep it small. Instead of a megabank, attempt to discover a lender that is domiciled in your area or town. This ensures that you can always obtain more personalized service.
- Be truthful. Provide all requested information and respond honestly to all questions. Unless you already have a business with workers, notify your lender that you intend to apply for the owner compensation replacement option.
- Complete the application properly and completely. Mistakes or exclusions in your application may end up causing your application to be delayed or delisted.
- Add documentation, such as your completed 2019 Schedule C and proof that you were in business on February 15, 2020 (or keep it fully prepared to upload). Your rideshare or delivery driving platform’s weekly summary will probably be sufficient.
- Be extremely diligent in your accounting, and keep track of your spending throughout the loan period. Even if you do not intend to claim expenses, you should be prepared in case you are asked for documentation later on.
How to Apply For Loan Forgiveness as a Lyft or Uber Driver
The loan forgiveness is one of the most attractive characteristics of the PPP loan. Forgiveness is conditional on providing evidence of satisfactory funds use, including paid receipts, payroll processing documents, bills, and so on.
Once more, your lender can assist you with the application. You must submit your loan forgiveness request to your lending institution once you have finished it. Make sure you meet all the due dates as well as other conditions of the loan program, such as any tax liabilities.
You may be eligible for a PPP loan as a Lyft or Uber driver. If you meet the criteria and are approved for the loan, you could apply for it to be forgiven whenever the loan term is up. You can get this loan from your bank or credit union, but note that not every bank and credit union is involved.